I’m writing this on my phone while lying in bed and feeling awful because I’m trying to reduce my medication dosage. But I saw Joe Hill talking about 5 things he would like to try as a writer so I decided to think of 5 things I would also like to try. I assume I’m forming coherent sentences right now but if I’m not I apologize.
1. Write a collection of short stories: I feel as though short stories are one of my weak points, and I’m not usually a big fan of reading them either, but I really loved Angela Carter’s The Bloody Chamber and I would like to create my own collection of twisted fairy tales.
2. Write a comic: it’s a medium I would like to learn more about, and read more of. I would need to collaborate with artists though because my drawing skills have not progressed since I was 12.
3. Write a book about birds: I love birds so much and it seems kind of odd that I’ve never thought to actually write about them. Rather than portray them as majestic and magical I would like to portray them as the weird feathery dinosaur jerks they really are. I adore birds, but I’m aware that they are jerks.
4. Fill an entire notebook with writing: I’m terrible with notebooks. I love to buy them but I never use them, or I use a few pages but then feel I’ve somehow tainted the notebook and I need to buy a new one. I need to stop viewing notebooks as mystical objects and just use the damn things properly.
5. Write a video game: My first novel was inspired more by video games than by other novels, so it would be cool to create the narrative for a video game. Not all games are mindless shoot-em-ups, some of them have really great stories. A few that come to mind include Ico, Braid, Shadow of the Colossus, Anerican Mcgee’s Alice, Bayonetta… (Ha! Just kidding. Bayonetta made absolutely no fucking sense).
Okay, now you go ahead and think of 5 things you would like to try. I’ll be right here, feeling like a spaced out sloth.